[Election-Methods] YN model - simple voting model in which range optimal, others not

Abd ul-Rahman Lomax abd at lomaxdesign.com
Thu Mar 27 19:12:45 PDT 2008

At 12:17 PM 3/27/2008, Dave Ketchum wrote:
>Ok, I give up on poking at this one.
>
>While the stated votes may be possible, I do not accept them as being of
>enough expectability to be useful in comparison among the election systems.

Dave, you've been reading the Election Methods list for quite some
time. Election methods are compared on a theoretical basis, all the
time, based on constructed scenarios that show *possible* behavior.
For an example, it's commonly asserted that Approval Voting fails the
Majority Criterion. Why? Well, it is possible that one candidate gets
a majority and does not win, because another candidate gets a
*larger* majority.

Now, how likely is this? Consider a two-party system. It is, by
definition, rare that the winner isn't from one of the two major
parties. Approval Voting would be introduced into this context
because it can allow voters who support a third party candidate to
vote, as well, for a major candidate and thus not waste their vote,
reducing the "spoiler effect," and possibly vote-splitting effects.

In this context, how likely is it that two candidates gain a
majority. Imagine that the electorate is, say, 45% D, 45% R, and 10%
G. That's a large third party.  For two candidates to gain a
majority, almost certainly what we'd have to see is a significant
number voters voting for both the R and the D. Sure, it will happen,
but because there will also be a significant number of G voters who
don't vote for either an A or a B, it's quite unlikely that two
candidates will gain a majority, and, indeed, it remains quite
possible that no candidate will. No voting method can guarantee a
majority winner except by forcing voters to make a choice, say on a
ranked ballot, as in Australia, where full ranking is required.

It was not claimed that this would be a common scenario, only that it
was possible, just as it is possible to have more than one candidate
gain a majority in Approval, and it is possible for 2/3 of voters to
vote *against* a candidate and that candidate wins under IRV. These
studies show something about the possible behavior of election
systems, and, in fact, Plurality is known to be ridiculously bad; but
that is only under relatively rare conditions, in *most* elections
plurality works well enough, producing the same result as, say, IRV
or other more advanced methods would. It's the exceptions, though,
that are worrisome.