[Election-Methods] YN model - simple voting model in which range optimal, others not

Warren Smith warren.wds at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 20:44:05 PDT 2008

thanks Abd.

I was going to use Eric Gorr's online Condorcet calculator to do
this election, but it turned out his calculator has bugs - probably
related to my
names being things like "YYNY" being too similar.
Also his "contact Gorr with email" button also has a bug (it sends
your message to nowhere) so I gave up on him.

As you've seen, doing large (16 cndt) elections by hand is a pain.

Now that 16-canddt example by Brams was only intended for plurality voting.  If
you want to make IRV and Condorcet and Borda look maximally
bad in the YN model, you need a DIFFERENT example (my answer "e"
not "b" on the PuzzAggreg.html web page).

And it is actually unclear to me how big the example needs to be,
perhaps 64 candidates might even be needed to make IRV (say) behave
maximally badly
in the YN model- but maybe fewer, and if you just want IRV to be bad,
but not maximally bad, then maybe still fewer. (Perhaps computer
exploration is
needed, manually it is too hard?)

So there is a lot I do not know about the YN model at present, and it also could
certainly be written up more clearly (if anybody wants to volunteer, please do)

--
Warren D. Smith
http://RangeVoting.org <-- add your endorsement (by clicking "endorse"