[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Wed Mar 12 16:57:50 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Puho

I apologize for the tardiness of my response.  I've been away and had a
considerable amount of work to dig through when I returned.

re: "I don't trust that groups of three would always make good decisions
even if given time."  (I see you expressed a slightly different view in
a later post.  My response is to this comment as it stands.)

As to any specific group, one may question the wisdom of their
selection.  To doubt the wisdom of all the groups is to doubt the wisdom
of humanity.  If that is your position, there's little I can say to sway
your view.

For my part, I am confident that, allowed to individually and freely
participate in the electoral process by expressing their views and
questioning the views of others instead of responding to the mass
manipulation of the media, the people will do so wisely.  They will,
because it's in their own best interest to do so.  It is inconceivable
that, when people are obligated to select between two others, their
choices will consistently run counter to their own interest.  It is true
some people consider their interest best served by their bigotry, but it
is equally true such people are an infinitesimal part of society.

re: "Still I see 'good' and 'bad' partisans. We need to try to make the
atmosphere and rules such that the good part gets more power and the
risk of the system escalating to strange paths is small."

It is one thing to make such a statement.  It is something else entirely
different to make it happen.  As I've said before, partisanship is
healthy.  The danger is in allowing partisans to gain power.  We have
far too much experience with the excesses of partisans in power to not
recognize the danger.  If you feel that politics should be based on
partisanship, you should be happy with the systems extant.  I don't, and
I'm not.

re: "I'm sure there were people that felt something similar.  Many
people don't open their mouth if they see the mainstream appearing to go
in some other direction that what they would take."

That is, precisely and exactly, the point I've been making.  I've
absolutely no doubt there were many people who felt as I did. Why did
they not stand up and be counted?  They didn't because, as I said in an
earlier message:

"... there is an enormous difference between our susceptibility to ideas
spread by that technique (i.e., mass marketing) when we act as a large
group and our ability to evaluate the same ideas rationally when we are
called upon to consider them, individually."

You obviously recognize this, so I'm not sure why you resist the concept
of a political system that allows people to consider issues,
individually, rather than having answers, which they personally believe
to be wrong, provided for them by mass marketing techniques.

re: "I think we are to some extent missing a commonly approved theory
that would explain such phenomena where the current leaders may not take
us into the right direction ..."

Perhaps you'd like to look my "Partisan Politics" post of Sunday, March
2nd.  You may feel what it says is not commonly approved.  I will agree
... as soon as someone rationally explains the flaws in the reasoning
offered in that post.  As I've said before (though probably not here),
one of the earliest lessons I learned in life was that it's OK to be
"wrong".  The error is in refusing to consider the possibility.  Most of
my ideas started out being "wrong" and gradually assumed their present
form as I learned to understand why they were wrong and how they could
be improved.  If someone can provide a rational refutation of any part
of that post, I'll be indebted to them.

Fred