[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Mar 9 16:59:38 PDT 2008

Good Evening, Juho

re: "Some rules always exist."

Of course.  There is no question but that rules are an important part of
the process.  That is not the point.  The point is that, in terms of
behaviour in the Active Democracy groups, harnessing human nature is
more effective at governing conduct than rules. When one's advancement
is dependent on the way one is perceived by other people, one learns to
forgo unacceptable behavior ... or one never advances.

re: "The point is just that although I assume that the 'willing' people
might be more responsible and as efficient leaders as the 'seeking' ones
also the seeking ones may in some cases work quite well.)"

I suspect our views on this are similar because, as you say, "... people
have many kind of drivers."  Even so, you may not share my confidence
that my peers will evaluate those they are grouped with and select the
person best equipped to serve the public interest.

re: "... we are in a way social animals with a need to synchronize with
our own flock/environment/tribe/party."

It appears you see what I refer to as the "will-to-believe" as
synchronization.  Whichever it is, it is a characteristic that affects
our political existence.  When we can be swayed by mass merchandising
techniques, when we can be convinced it is proper to perform an act for
which we condemn others, we need to be aware the trait can be dangerous
for society and seek a means of restricting its adverse effects.

I will be away for a day or so, but will write again when I return.

Fred