[Election-Methods] Using range ballots as an extension of ranked ballot voting

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Mar 6 13:34:46 PST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:45 , <mrouse1 at mrouse.com> <mrouse1 at mrouse.com>
wrote:

> juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk:
>

> >>Can you also clarify a bit how step 3 is counted when some
> candidate X is beaten by two other candidates (Y and Z).
> >>I find the proposed method interesting since it seems to aim at
> electing good winners (using a function minimizes the problems
> caused to the voters, from one point of view).
>
> I'd be happy to try. Do you have an example election for me to play
> with? I'm assuming you mean where I said
>

> 3. If there is no Condorcet winner, find the shortest distance (sum
> of individual ranges) necessary to produce a Condorcet winner.

Sorry for some delay in replying. Here's one quick example.

1: A=10 B=2 C=1 D=0
1: A=10 C=7 B=6 D=0
1: B=10 C=6 A=5 D=0
3: C=10 D=5 A=1 B=0
3: D=10 B=4 A=3 C=0

C is now beaten by both A and B, and C has to win them both in order
to become a Condorcet winner. What is the "shortest distance (sum of
individual ranges)" for C in this example and how do you count it?

Juho