[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Mar 5 12:13:38 PST 2008

Yes, agreed.

In addition to having some targets on improving the society
politicians (and any human beings) are often interested (to a varying
degree) also in power, money and fame. Politics can offer all this to
them. Another problem is that all aging "systems" have the risk of
stagnation and gradual corruption. You mentioned also the problem of
people believing that their own and dear system is already the best
possible. And (as you also noted) the incumbents in good positions in
the current system have no interest in changing the system (since
that system was the one that gave them their current position).
Improving such a system is always an uphill battle.

I note that the financing of the campaigns may be a serious problem.
One could try to do something with that also without the proposed
method (e.g. by setting some limits on TV time and/or newspaper rows
and/or number of phone calls and/or letters).

Fraud is also a serious problem. In this case I do believe that also
the current systems can be made practically fraud free, if there is
just some political will to do so. (One just needs to make the
ballots and process clear and count the results locally in the
presence of representatives from multiple interest groups and then
make the results public.)

Few notes on the "Selecting Leaders From The People" method.

The first possible theoretical problem is the fact that electing one
candidate from each group to some extent favours large groups. I make
a simplifying assumption that also in the new system there are two
parties with 55% and 45% support. I also assume that a group that has
two or three representatives from one party always elects a a
candidate from that party. As a result the probability of electing a
candidate from the bigger party is higher than 55%. And when one
repeats this procedure multiple times hierarchically, eventually
almost all representatives would be from the bigger party. My
assumptions simplified the set-up a lot, but the trend of favouring
large groupings is there. I don't know if this is ok to you or not.

The basic idea that representatives at one layer will be elected by
representatives at one step lower layer makes the gap between voters
and representatives smaller than what it typically is today, and
thereby makes the relationship stronger (this has many good
implications). One can achieve these effects also with larger groups
and fewer layers. One extreme is the electoral college in US that
reduces the number of steps in two (I don't claim that it would have
the same properties though).

Another slightly different approach would be to elect not one but
several representatives at each layer. This would reduce the problem
of favouring large groupings. A similar tree style hierarchy could be
constructed e.g. from groups of 1000 voters electing 50
representatives for the next higher layer. Also this hierarchy still
favours large groupings but to a lesser degree. (This method would be
in style more like a multi-winner multi-party method.)

I wonder if the groups of three (or more) always represent some
specific region. I guess this was the intention. I.e. if the process
starts at the backyard will it also continue to electing the
representatives of neighbourhoods, towns etc. If so, that would
probably make the ties between the representatives and their voters
tighter. If the relationship is tight and will be about the same also
in the next elections that would make the representatives one step
more responsible towards their voters (=> leads to some sort of a
"village chief/representative" system).

One problem is that even if the process, when started from a
backyard, has no party influence at the beginning, it is possible
that the party influence will infiltrate the system from top down (in
good and bad). I.e. if there are some groupings/parties at the top
level, the candidates at one level below could make their
affiliations clear, and their voters might request them to do so. And
that could then continue downwards in chain.

The long chain in decision making is likely to lead also to
complaints that the highest level decision makers do not listen to
the lowest level voters any more, and that thers is some sort of
corruption "in the chain". Maybe the chain should not be too long.
And in some elections (or part of them) voters might also like to
elect their representative directly. (For example how should one
elect a president of a mayor? Maybe direct voting would be used in
some cases instead of the chained voting model.)

The practical problem of making the politicians adopt this proposal
is of course huge. But one must start somewhere. Making people aware
of the problems and offering them also good solutions to the problems
may some day lead to small steps forward.

Juho