[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics

Steve Eppley SEppley at alumni.caltech.edu
Sun Mar 2 10:46:50 PST 2008

Hi,

Fred Gohlke wrote:
> This site focuses on methods of conducting elections, but most posts
> address only a single aspect of that topic; the way votes are counted.
> Is not the object for which votes are cast a matter of even greater
> concern?  When our public officials are not representative of the people
> who elect them and are masters of misdirection, obfuscation and deceit,
> ought we not ask ourselves whether there is a taint in the method by
> which they are selected?  Ought we not consider the role of political
> parties in the political process?

-snip-

My view is that the reason we have two large parties that each nominate
one candidate per office is the bad voting method, which punishes people
who fail to form the largest coalition. It also punishes those who seek
the best compromise, by reducing the "votes" cast for them (if they
bothered to compete) by squeezing them between other candidates.  Fix
the voting method to change the parties and promote cooperation.

Regards,
Steve