[Election-Methods] Test message/resending "Using range ballots as an extension of ranked ballot voting"

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Sun Mar 9 08:48:55 PDT 2008

Hi, everyone. I was just sent a note letting me know my last message was in an unreadable format (a copy of it here: http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/attachments/20080308/a1502ffe/attachment.html), so I thought I'd resend it using Thunderbird instead of the web-based email program I used before. If someone can let me know if the formatting is garbled (I know the content is often garbled, but that's a given :) ) then please let me know. Thanks!

(I wouldn't re-send it, but I'd like it to appear in the archive correctly. Not sure what happened last time, though). The text between the underlines ("________") is what I wrote before.

_______________________________

Snipping the message:

**********************

On Mar 3, 2008, at 1:45 , <mrouse1 at mrouse.com> <mrouse1 at mrouse.com> wrote:

 > juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk:
 >

 > >>Can you also clarify a bit how step 3 is counted when some candidate X is beaten by two other candidates (Y and Z).
 > >>I find the proposed method interesting since it seems to aim at electing good winners (using a function minimizes the problems caused to the voters, from one point of view).
 >
 > I'd be happy to try. Do you have an example election for me to play with? I'm assuming you mean where I said
 >

 > 3. If there is no Condorcet winner, find the shortest distance (sum of individual ranges) necessary to produce a Condorcet winner.

Sorry for some delay in replying. Here's one quick example.

1: A=10 B=2 C=1 D=0
1: A=10 C=7 B=6 D=0
1: B=10 C=6 A=5 D=0
3: C=10 D=5 A=1 B=0
3: D=10 B=4 A=3 C=0

C is now beaten by both A and B, and C has to win them both in order to become a Condorcet winner. What is the "shortest distance (sum of individual ranges)" for C in this example and how do you count it?

**************

Okay, here's how I did it by hand (sorry if it's a bit cryptic).

Given the following:

1: A=10 B=2 C=1 D=0
1: A=10 C=7 B=6 D=0
1: B=10 C=6 A=5 D=0
3: C=10 D=5 A=1 B=0
3: D=10 B=4 A=3 C=0

The question was: "C is now beaten by both A and B, and C has to win them both in order to become a Condorcet winner. What is the "shortest distance (sum of individual ranges)" for C in this example and how do you count it?"

Here are the number of pairs each way:
A>B (1+1+3)
A>C (1+1+3)
A>D (1+1+1)
B>A (1+3)
B>C (1+1+3)
B>D (1+1+1)
C>A (1+3)
C>B (1+3)
C>D (1+1+1+3)
D>A (3+3)
D>B (3+3)
D>C (3)

Simplifying (numbers in parenthesis indicate surplus votes) and showing the pair relations:
A>B (1)
A>C (1)
B<C (1)
C>D (3)
D>A (3)
D>B (3)

To remove the relation A>B, it would take 1 vote, the smallest total distance of which is 1 (1-0).
To remove the relation A>C, it would take 1 vote, the smallest total distance of which is 3 [(10-7) or (3-0)]
To remove the relation B>C, it would take 1 vote, the smallest total distance of which is 1 (2-1)
To remove the relation C>D, it would take 3 votes, the smallest total distance of which is 11 [(1-0)+(10-5)+(10-5)]
To remove the relation D>A, it would take 3 votes, the smallest total distance of which is 12 [(5-1)+(5-1)+(5-1)]
To remove the relation D>B, it would take 3 votes, the smallest total distance of which is 15[(5-0)+(5-0)+(5-0)]

To make A the weak Condorcet winner (A>=B,C,D), removing the relation D>A is sufficient. The total distance is 12.
To make B the weak Condorcet winner (B>=A,C,D), removing the relation A>B and D>B is sufficient. The total distance is 16 (1+15)
To make C the weak Condorcet winner (C>=A,B,D), removing the relation A>C and B>C is sufficient. The total distance is 4 (3+1)
To make D the weak Condorcet winner (D>=A,B,C), removing the relation C>D is sufficient. The total distance is 11.

Using this method, C would be the winner, since 4 is the shortest distance. The complete order is C>D>A>B.

(I use the weak Condorcet criterion, because an infinitesimal amount added to either candidate in a tie is sufficient to create a winner.)

Let me know if anything is unclear, and I'll try to give a better explanation (grin).

I might play around with the same election and see what removing the lowest order of preferences (and not just the closest preferences) would yield.

Michael Rouse.

Anyway, if it's garbled but readable enough to see this line, let me know. Or if it came through fine, that would be nice to know, and I might try a test with the webmail program again. Thanks!

Mike