[Election-Methods] Fwd: Another Lottery Method for the Record

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Mon Jun 30 09:07:51 PDT 2008

Didn't actually send this to the list.

Original post follows

From: raphfrk at netscape.net

Sorry in advance, AIM tends to add lots of ? symbols for some reason.

From: fsimmons at pcc.edu

> In small groups:

> A voter is chosen at random.

> This voter picks another voter to be eliminated, along with himself.

> One of the remaining voters is chosen at random, etc.

> If the number of voters is odd, the last voter left decides the election.

> If the number of voters is even, a coin is flipped to determine which of the

> last two voters decides the

> election.

Do the voters vote first before the elimination ?

This would allow people to know who they are eliminating.

You could even then implement it in 'instant' form.

Effectively, voters all vote and candidate totals are worked

Voters then submit a ranked ballot (or maybe just 1 combined ballot).

The ranked ballot works as anti-plurality + IRV.? If a candidate gets a negative score, they are eliminated.? However, their 'surplus' negative score is transferred like in IRV.

The maths might be weird though.? I am not sure if 'zero' is the correct quota.

There could be strategy though.? For example, voters might not eliminate an extremely bad candidate because they know someone else will later.

Jonathan Lundell wrote

>Alternatively, only the first voter is chosen at random, and the

>elimination proceeds in a chain.

I assume you mean that the first candidate eliminates a voter and then the eliminated voter eliminates the next one ?

In a polarised 2-party setting, this would cause alternating eliminations ... which is probably a good thing.

Raphfrk

Interesting site

"what if anyone could modify the laws"

www.wikocracy.com