[Election-Methods] Another Lottery Method for the Record

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Jun 29 15:16:57 PDT 2008

Jonathan suggested eliminating in a chain and Raphfrk suggested that this could be automated for large
groups.

I like the chain idea from one point of view: (as Raphfrk commented) the extremes would end up
eliminating each other.

Here's a variation that I like slightly better:

While there are two or more voters remaining ...

    pick a voter at random from these remaining  voters

    and allow this voter to eliminate one of the other voters

    until all of the remaining voters agree who the winner should be.

[In this version, the same voter could be chosen as the eliminator more than once.]

It has the advantage (over the chain method) of a smaller percentage of the decisions being made by
voters on the fringe, and (over my previous proposal) of keeping the voters near the center to help form
the unanimous consensus.

This method could also be automated in various ways, including Raphfrk's suggestion.

Forest