[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting

Kathy Dopp kathy.dopp at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 21:41:41 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Stéphane Rouillon
<stephane.rouillon at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Finally a question for my vacations!
>
> I would use geothermia. Simply dig a long tube in the ground with the two
> halfs at different underground level and put the ends at differents levels
> of your house. It should pump cool air
> from the underground to your basement, when it gets hot then to the upstairs
> where it goes through the second end far underground and back in the cycle.
> what is important is that the length
> of the underground tubes is long enough so the pumping effect can drag the
> hot air form upstairs
> stronger then the boussinesq force keeps it elevated (hot air is lighter).

Hi Stephane,

What a great idea. Would that work?  Or would one need to pump fluid
or to use a fan to pump air around such tubes into the ground?  I like
it.

However, that is *not* how I keep my house below 68/74 approx degrees
downstairs/upstairs.

It was in the 90s again here today and my house inside is now 68/72
degrees downstairs/upstairs even though I have no air conditioning or
swamp cooler.

Hints:

1. I do not live in a cave .
.
2.   Components of how my house stays cool in summer are related to
how it warms itself without a furnace or a heater of any kind in
winter.

3. I live in a high mountain desert.

> So now can you acknoledge that IRV is better than FPTP ?

I just counted to see how many of the "17 flaws of IRV" listed in my
paper, also apply to plurality voting - only 3.  So, since IRV (to my
count) has at least 14 flaws that plurality voting does not have, and
only 3 benefits over plurality (including one benefit that is only a
perceived rather thant an actual benefit), I would say that plurality
voting is far superior to IRV IMO.  My paper's URL is here:
http://electionarchive.org/ucvAnalysis/US/RCV-IRV/InstantRunoffVotingFlaws.pdf

> I can accpet IRV being worst than any other method (even if I do not agree
> all the time)
> but FPTP has to be worst!

Nope. IRV is the worst voting method I have seen, except for the one
that Chris showed us on this list of converting voter ratings to
approval votes for N-1 candidates, but then I haven't seen all the
voting methods people may have dreamed up - and do not want to.

I would like to see a picture of your idea for digging holes with
pipes to keep houses cool as my current method only works to the great
extent that it does in certain climes. The area were I live is only
about 17 miles away as the crow flies from some hot springs (volcanic
activity) beneath the crust  where it looks from the lay of the land
like the entire town is situated in an old small caldera volcano, so
those homes in that nearby town could probably not use your method.

I live a few hundred miles or more South of Yellowstone Park.  I
believe that Yellowstone is the largest known caldera volcano in the
world. When Yellowstone explodes again,  hot lava may land on my roof,
and I would try to escape by driving South since the ash would travel
East with the Jet Stream air current around the globe.

However, under and around my town are old Silver mines that do have
cool 50 degree air in them, but I live in a meadow.

After you solve the first puzzle, I have two other puzzles for you.

How does the grass in my lawn stay green when I never water or
irrigate it and I live in a very dry climate?

How does my house heat up to 80 degrees Farenheit inside during the
winter even when it is below freezing outside - without using any
fossil fuels and without burning any wood?

Kathy