[Election-Methods] Determining representativeness of multiwinner methods

Howard electorama.com at howard.swerdfeger.com
Mon Jun 23 20:19:29 PDT 2008

Question to Kristofer

do you see the "issues" that you start off with as orthogonal?
i.e. do you see this only working in a world where the issues polled are
independent.

also, how it would be decided what issues are polled? even in a
simulation this is important.

Ultimately there are a large election there are wide variety of issues
and it is impossible for any one candidate or voter to be aware of all
of them much less have an opinion on them all.

I think the generalization you propose below to a range of values is
probably worth while.
it might then also be able to address not only proportionality on views
of the legislature, but also proportionality on the thrust of the
legislature.
i.e. it is all well and good to say you are for some position but if the
legislature never proposes a new law or regulation around this position
it is of little use to the people.