[Election-Methods] Dopp: 2. “Requires centralized vote counting procedures at the state-lev el"

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Fri Jun 13 22:54:13 PDT 2008

On Jun 13, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

>> Nonpartisan? Hardly.
>
> I'd need to see more to be able to agree with that. But that is one
> election out of many. Most of the IRV elections are for Supervisor.
> Bill Clinton doesn't typically come to town to campaign for a
> Supervisor. Are those partisan? I don't think so. And those are the
> ones going into instant runoff, mostly, because of the large numbers
> of candidates and more closely contested races.

In California, nonpartisan (which is to say local/city/county) offices
serve as the minor leagues for the Show in Sacramento and DC. This
isn't really a matter for dispute; it's just the way it is.

I don't think that the point is all that important wrt ranked voting,
though. The relevant question is whether there are clones (which
needn't be perfect clones) in the election. And the answer is that the
presence of clones is not dependent on the race being de jure (or even
de facto) partisan.

A case in point is the just-concluded Democratic primary for
California State Senate District 13. A primary is, for our purposes,
non-partisan. The election had three candidates with a chance of
election, a progressive incumbent, a challenger to the left, and a
challenger to the right who ordinarily would have no chance at
election in this district, but saw a shot as a consequence of a split
between the first two. (You'll agree that we can treat a party primary
as a nonpartisan election, yes?)

In the event, the left challenger pulled out a plurality win, but it's
easy to see how it might have been otherwise. Under IRV (or approval,
for that matter), the right challenger's supporters might well have
elected the incumbent; or the right challenger might have beaten the
incumbent and left challenger if they had more evenly split the left
vote.

It's also easy to see how this real-world election could have resulted
in heavily strategic voting in an approval election, and that either
IRV or a Condorcet-compliant method would have likely resulted in a
better result, for some reasonable definition of "better".

All that aside, my point is more narrow. The distinction between
(nominally) partisan and nonpartisan isn't particularly relevant to
the question of election method.