[Election-Methods] Dopp: 2. “Requires centralized vote counting procedures at the state-level"

Jonathan Lundell jlundell at pobox.com
Thu Jun 12 17:11:25 PDT 2008

On Jun 12, 2008, at 12:53 PM, Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:

> But it isn't so fast, necessarily. In San Francisco, one election
> required 19 rounds of eliminations, as I recall. They took a month,
> I think, to issue the results.

SF has always been notoriously slow to finish their counts and certify
the results. More than one registrar has lost their job over it. Do
you have reason to believe that it's actually taking significantly
longer since IRV was implemented? The 1999 city election took three
weeks to count.

> A far simpler method, using the same three-rank ballot as IRV, but
> far more flexibly, would be Bucklin voting. And much, much simpler
> to count. While FairVote claims that Later-no-harm failure for
> Bucklin will cause wide strategic voting (bullet voting), I think
> that actually quite unlikely. These are nonpartisan elections.

While that's true in theory (all California local elections are
nominally nonpartisan), it's far from true in fact, at least in
political cities like San Francisco. Case in point: when now-mayor
Newsom was running against Matt Gonzalez, and looked like a real
threat (Matt forced a runoff in those pre-IRV days), Bill Clinton and
Al Gore both came to town to campaign against Gonzalez, a registered
Green. So did Jesse Jackson, Dianne Feinstein, and Nancy Pelosi.

Nonpartisan? Hardly.