[Election-Methods] Challenge Problem

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri Jun 6 07:44:11 PDT 2008

Dear Forest,

I think the following modification of your method is both monotonic and
performs better in the 33/33/33-situation:

1. We use approval ballots with favourite option indicated. We determine
all approval scores. Assume the highest approval score divided by the
number of voters is  x.

2. One ballot is drawn.

3. With a probability of P=f(x), that option which has the highest
approval score amoung those approved on this ballot wins, otherwise the
favourite of that ballot wins.

In other words: Perform Random Approval Ballot with a probability of
P=f(highest approval rate), else perform Random Ballot.

The function f(x) is chosen so that in important reference situations
full cooperation is encouraged.

Let us assume we want to encourage full cooperation in the following
situation:
   50: A (1) > C (gamma) > B (0)
   50: B (1) > C (gamma) > A (0)
Here full cooperation is an equilibrium when the expected utility of the
A-voters given that all B voters cooperate, is maximal for x=1, and vice
versa. As this expected utility is
   f(x)*(x*gamma + (1-x)*1) + (1-f(x))*1/2,
which equals gamma for x=1, the condition on f is this:
   f(x) <= (2gamma-1) / (1 - (2-2gamma)*x)

E.g., for gamma=0.6 we can choose

	f(x) = 1/(5-4x).

Let's compare this choice
   f1(x)=1/(5-4x)
with the function
   f2(x)=x^4
which you used in your method and which will also encourage full
cooperation in the above situation with gamma=0.6. More precisely, let's
look how they perform in this different situation:
   33: A1 > A > A2 >> B
   33: A2 > A > A1 >> B
   33: B >> A1=A2=A
If all A-voters cooperate (i.e. approve of A), A will win with a
probability of
   2/3 * f(2/3)
which is 2/7 if f=f1 but only 32/243 if f=f2. It seems f1 will usually
give the compromise a larger probability than f2.

Finally, why is the above method monotonic? (i) If noone changes
approvals but someone marks a different option as favourite, then this
doesn't affect  x,  so monotonicity follows from the monotonicity of
Random Ballot in this case. (ii) If noone changes the favourite but
someone adds an approval of some option A which has not the maximal
approval score, again  x  is unaffected and monotonicity follows from
the monotonicity of Random Approval Ballot this time. (iii) If, finally,
noone changes the favourite but someone adds an approval of some option
A which already has the maximal approval score, then all of the three
values  x, f(x), and the winning probability of A under Random Approval
Ballot  are increased. Thus, some probability is shifted from Random
Ballot towards Random Approval Ballot. But since A is an Approval
winner, her winning probability under Random Approval Ballot exceeds the
one under Random Ballot, so her overall winning probability is
increasing as required by monotonicity. QED.

Yours, Jobst