[Election-Methods] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 48, Issue 14

Greg greg at somervilleirv.org
Sun Jun 15 17:13:45 PDT 2008

> That sort of analysis falsely makes spoiling in major elections appear
> rare, regardless of the voting method (even plurality rule). When
> analysis properly includes the deterrence of competition, the spoiling
> problem is rampant with plurality rule, top two runoff, instant runoff
> and approval.

For plurality, we have lots of empirical anecdotes to back up that
claim, like the case of McCain in 2000 that you pointed out. For
another example, the Progressive Party candidate dropped out of the
race for House of Representatives vacated by Bernie Sanders, due to
persuasion from Bernie himself, so as to avoid spoiling the race for
the Democrat Peter Welch.

While there are plenty of specific cases of potential spoilers being
deterred from plurality elections, where's the evidence of "rampant"
deterrence in runoff methods. "Rampant" was a strong word to use, and
I'd like to see it justified for runoff methods. Are you concerned
with potential deterrence of centrist candidates (the victims of the
center squeeze) or deterrence of the "extremist" candidates who might
cause the centrist to be squeezed out of winning?

Greg