[Election-Methods] Partisan Politics + a method proposal

Fred Gohlke fredgohlke at verizon.net
Sun Jun 1 15:58:20 PDT 2008

Good Afternoon, Juho

re: "One more observation on the risks.  Some people may feel
participation in a triad to be more challenging than dropping a ballot n
a box and therefore avoid taking part in such challenging activities
where they are expected to perform and prove their viewpoint."

Are we to leave our fate to those unable or unwilling to express their
view on the circumstances that govern our lives?

There is no requirement that they take part in any 'challenging
activities'.  At the lowest level, they probably don't even have to go
to a polling place or fill out a ballot.  All they have to do is discuss
their views with two of their neighbors and select one of the two to
represent their interest.  The extent to which they engage in the
process is their option.

The point is that they ... and we ... have the option.

re: "I haven't carefully thought what kind of method would be good for
this purpose and I'm also not to familiar with the set-up."

Insofar as the outline is concerned, you haven't had time to think
carefully about the method and none of us know the form it will take.
You apparently found aspects of my suggestion unacceptable.  Therefore,
it seemed worthwhile to encourage the development of a different
approach.  All I've done is take some of the points you mentioned and
put them in a crude outline.  At the moment, it can't be called a
method.  It will become one, if and when, we, by suggesting and
challenging and justifying and discussing, gradually hone it into a
semblance of a sound idea.

To accomplish that, we must start by recognizing that there's no such
thing as 'wrong'.  Every idea is an embryo.  Our job is to see to its
nutrition.  All we need contribute is good will, open-mindedness and a
genuine desire to craft a sound electoral method.  If we are able to do
that, we will have realized the power and the promise of the internet.

The greatest challenge we'll encounter is handling divergent opinions in
a way that informs but does not detract from our joint effort.  I'm not
sure I have the wit or wisdom to arrange that gracefully, but, if we can
make a good start, we can be sure others, more talented than I am, will
come to the fore.

re: "I tried to offer nomination practices that would be 'equal to all'."

Ideas for nomination practices are in the outline.  They should be
challenged, justified, modified and honed until we have an acceptable
set of practices.

re: "There may be also other means to limit the ill effects of costly
campaigning."

Dave Ketchum has already made the outstanding suggestion that each
candidate offer a resume of qualifications and aspirations.  The idea
deserves examination and enhancement.  (I see you, too, approve Dave's
approach.  I need to include your comment in the outline.)

re: "In a democracy a strong and persistent majority opinion of the
citizens (if one exists) should overrule the opinions of the incumbent
politicians."

An aspect of Active Democracy that may have escaped notice is:

"The process is inherently bi-directional.  Because each elected
official sits atop a pyramid of known electors, questions on specific
issues can easily be transmitted directly to and from the electors for
the guidance or instruction of the official."

At the suggestion of my friend in the U. K., we are using this
capability to improve the people's voice in their government.  The
change is so promising we may change the name of the process from Active
Democracy to Inclusive Democracy; it includes the entire electorate in
our government.

Something has come up that may affect my availability to work on this
project.  I'll keep working as long as I can and will let you know if
you'll need to find a replacement.

Fred