[Election-Methods] IRV hurts racial minorities?

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 30 03:41:29 PDT 2008

Kathy Dopp > Sent: Wednesday, July 30, 2008 1:27 AM
> > From: "James Gilmour" <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>
> > Subject: Re: [Election-Methods] IRV hurts racial minorities?
> >
> > Whatever the merits or demerits of any single-winner voting system in
> > respective of minority representation, if you are serious about
> > representation of minorities, you start by electing the representative
> > assembly by a sound system of proportional representation in which all
> > representatives are elected from multi-member districts (upper limit:
> > whole country = one electoral district).
>
> I am certain that I am not the only person on this list who
> has noticed the lack of logical correctness in the above statement.

Now logic really has been stood on its head.  Of course, many factors including the voting system, the drawing of the boundaries,
etc, etc, can affect the representation obtained by minorities of all kinds, but it is surely logically correct that if you want to
secure representation of minorities (and in due proportion) you start by electing several (or all) members together and do not use
any version of single-member electoral districts.  Of course, you must then use a voting system that gives proportional
representation within those multi-member districts and not use a voting system like multi-member first-past-the-post (number of
X-votes = numbers of seats), but that follows logically from the objective.

> There seems to be a lot of emotional attachment to a position
> rather than a willingness to examine facts and reconsider
> one's position in light of facts.  Apparently available data
> shows IRV is consistent with a voting method that disfavors
> minorities.

I don't see anything "emotional" in anything I wrote.   I would never defend IRV, or any other single-winner voting system, as doing
anything other than disfavouring minorities.  However, it should be noted that Smith's comparison of IRV against single-winner
plurality did not take account of any of the other factors Kathy Dopp has suggested are important in making such assessments.

James Gilmour

Checked by AVG.