[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Tue Jul 29 11:19:28 PDT 2008

Aaron,

Just four little points to what Aaron Armitage wrote...

1. <snip>
"You claim, in short, that using the same inputs differently makes them
different inputs, and that producing the same kind of outcome differently
makes it a different outcome."
<snip>

I believe James was arguing that while a voter's preferences in her mind
might be the same, but knowing whether the ballot would be counted using
one method or another set of vote processing rules (with or without
later-no-harm protection, for example) will change how the voter will mark
the ballot. Or put another way, two ballots with identical rankings on
them may in fact reflect very different actual preferences by these two
voters depending on which vote processing rule is going to be used. Thus,
one can't simply say inputs (if one means actual voter preferences) are
identical by looking at the rankings without regard to the vote processing
rule in place.

2.  <snip>
"Under any definition of "one person, on vote" that Bucklin fails, IRV
also
fails. But that wouldn't be a proper definition anyway."
 <snip>

Not so. A single transferable vote is very different than a Bucklin
additive vote. Under IRV each voter has one vote for one candidate counted
in the final tally. Under Bucklin, voter A may have one vote in the final
tally, but voter B has two votes for two candidates in opposition. One
court ruled that Bucklin violated the one vote-one person concept, while
another court ruled that IRV upheld it. Since these were different courts,
it certainly isn't conclusive, but the difference is significant. I
personally think that methods like Bucklin and Approval might be seen as
satisfying one-person one-vote (nearly as well as IRV) because a "vote" is
an expression of the voters choice on the matter at hand, and all voters
have equal rights to mark the ballot with no class of voters getting an
automatic advantage.

3. <snip>
"Take an example. Louisiana uses the same election system that France
does,
and it malfunctioned the same way in both places; a crypto-fascist got
enough votes to make it to the runoff, produced a fair amount of panic,
and
duly lost to an opponent whose only real selling point was being the only
alternative."
<snip>

But the method is not IRV. In France with sequential elimination, all
experts agree that le Pen would not have made it into the final runoff,
and that Jospin would have been the finalist with Chirac. Louisiana is a
better example, though still weak...since we can't know for sure how IRV
in a single November election rather than the lower turnout October
primary Duke passed through, would have changed voter turnout and
outcomes.

4. My last point is one of general agreement with Aaron...I agree that we
should try to use criteria definitions that allow all single-winner voting
methods to be compared...but that is much trickier than it at first
appears.