[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jul 27 23:29:50 PDT 2008

On Mon, 28 Jul 2008 00:30:10 -0400 Abd ul-Rahman Lomax wrote:
> Actually, the term in the first sentence is "majority rule," which, in
> actual operation, makes decisions always between two alternatives,
> minimized to Yes or No on a single question.
> It could be made compatible, and the method is obvious, and is precisely
> what Robert's Rules of order describes as how it would be used. A true
> majority is required to win. IRV then becomes a method of finding
> majorities, provided that enough voters add enough ranked choices. If
> all voters rank all the candidates, a majority is guaranteed.

We happily complain about others' seen misuse of "majority".  Seems to
mew the above is misuse.

If every voter ranks every candidate, then you have managed a infinity
of yeses, zero noes, and nothing to indicate which candidate has won.
  True that the ranking identifies a winner but, if we were looking at
the ranking, we would have no need to demand the complete ranking
specified above.

Elsewhere I argue for Condorcet as better than IRV - for more
completely counting voters' complete preferences.

There I argue for abandonment, or at least relaxation of, majority
requirements, because voter have more completely expressed their desires.
                  If you want peace, work for justice.