[Election-Methods] final attempt for a strategy-free range voting variant, and another proportionally democratic method

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Sun Jul 27 14:31:36 PDT 2008

Hello again.

As promised, here is my final attempt to contribute a strategy-free
range voting variant which uses a conserved amount of virtual "voting
money". Second, I will describe how this can be used to improve the
"proportionally democratic" methods Forest and I discussed some weeks ago.

I.

DEFINITION OF METHOD
Jackknife Range Voting with Zero-Sum Virtual Clarke taxes (JRV0VC)

Prerequisites:
--------------

N voters are to perform a sequence of decisions with a possibly varying
number of options. Each of them has a "voting account" that starts with
an equal number of "voting cents", say 100.

The method describes how to perform each single decision in the
sequence. It finds a winner and may adjust some of the "voting
accounts" by transferring some of this virtual money.

Input:
------

Each voters assigns a numeric rating to each option. She can use ratings
between 0 and her current voting account's balance. If the latter is
negative, all ratings must be 0. Put...

   R(X,i) := the rating voter i gave option X
   C(i) := balance on voter i's "voting account" before the decision

Because of the restrictions, we have
   0 <= R(X,i) <= max { 0, C(i) }.

Tally:
------

1. Determine the ordinary range voting winner W, the runner-up Y and the
winning margin, i.e. the difference between their total ratings.

2. If this difference is larger than the maximum difference between the
ratings of any two options on any individual voter's ballot, then W is
the winner of the election.

3. Otherwise, a randomly drawn ballot is removed, the winner is the
range voting winner W' as determined from the other N-1 ballots, and the
voting accounts are adjusted as follows. Using all N ballots again, put...

   T(X,i) := total rating of option X on the ballots different from i
           = sum { R(X,j) : j different from i }

   W(i) := range voting winner when ballot i was removed
         = that W with T(W,i)>T(X,i) for all X other than W

For each voter i, add the following amount to her voting account C(i):

   sum { (2-N)*R(W(i),j)
         + sum { R(W(k),j) : k different from i and j }
       : j different from i }
   / N

(END OF METHOD JRV0VC)

Note that step 2 is only a short-cut. Removing it would change nothing
since the winner and adjustments would be the same.

Note also that this is quite similar to Clarke taxes. When those were
used, not W' but W would be elected and the amount added to C(i) would be

   sum { R(W,j) - R(W(i),j) : j different from i }
   = sum { - N*R(W(i),j)
         + N/(N-2) * sum { R(W,j) : k different from i and j }
       : j different from i }
     / N

The main advantage is that while Clarke taxes do not sum up to zero, the
above JRV0VC-adjustments do, so no "voting money" needs to be destroyed
or generated, and hence no "inflation" or "deflation" can happen which
would have influences on the strategic implications.

But this can only be achieved by randomizing Range Voting slightly by
removing a randomly drawn ballot. Otherwise, there would be incentives
to misrepresent the true ratings. However, this slight randomization and
the related transfers of virtual money only happen in the rare case
where the election is so close that a single ballot can make a difference.

The idea of "virtual voting money" is not new (I learned about it in the
Pivato paper I cited last week) but the combination with removing a
single ballot to make it zero-sum is.

We need to study these things:

a) What group strategies might exist, in particular how strategic
behaviour of one voter influences the outcome of a second voter. In this
context, the method might be improved further by increasing the number
of removed ballots if that reduces group strategies.

b) Can "voting money" really be considered a form of money, and can we
expect it to be linear in individual utilities? My hope is that this is
so because the virtual money is only used to "buy" immediate voting
power and pay with potential later voting power. I think it would not be
necessary that utilities be comparable between different persons. Just
the utilities some fixed person assigns to options in the decision at
hand need be comparable to utilities the same person assigns to options
in a later decision.

c) How would the "exchange rate" of this virtual money be established?

II.

Now comes the "proportionally democratic" method which utilizes the
above method. This was my real goal in all of this, as you might have
guessed already:

DEFINITION OF METHOD
Favourite or Utilitarian Random Ballot (FURB)

Phase I:
--------

Perform a JRV0VC election to find the "compromise option" for phase II.
The question on the ballot reads "How much value does it have for you if
option ... was the compromise option for phase II?".
Designate the winner of this phase by W.

Phase II:
---------

1. On a new ballot, everyone
    (i) specifies her favourite option and
    (ii) answers the question "Would you cooperate to elect W?"

2. A die is tossed. If it shows six then 15 of these ballots are
    drawn at random, otherwise only 3 are drawn.

3. If all drawn ballots answered "yes", W is elected.
    Otherwise the favourite on the first drawn ballot is elected.

(END OF DEFINITION)

Note that phase II is exactly the same as in Two-Phase-FAWRB.

Summary of properties:
----------------------

a) Monotonic, neutral, anonymous in the long run, clone-proof.

b) The method is "proportionally democratic" in the sense that when p
percent of the electorate mark some favourite X and say "no" to the
compromise W, then X will have at least p percent winning probability.
This is true regardless of the voting accounts since they are used only
in phase I.

c) Phase I is strategy-free and thus is likely to choose that compromise
option which will make the final result of phase II have the largest
total utility.

d) In phase II, it is optimal to mark the true favourite.

e) In phase II, optimal strategy is monotonic in the following sense:
Assume it is optimal for some voter i to say "yes" in phase II, and
assume some other voter j has the same true ratings as voter i except
that j rates the compromise option higher than i does. Then it is also
optimal for voter j to say "yes" in phase II.

f) If every voter i prefers the compromise option W to a lottery in
which i's favourite is elected with 20% probability and the Random
Ballot lottery is applied with 80% probability, and all voters know that
this is the case, then it is likely that all voters will say "yes" in
phase II and W will be the sure winner.

g) If more than one such option W as in f) exists, then the one will be
chosen in phase I which maximizes total utility. This means the method
will elect the utilitarian winner amoung the unanimously acceptable
compromise options, if such options exist.

Now, it would be nice if someone invested a bit of time to double-check
all of these claims :-)

Yours,
Jobst