[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Jul 27 13:32:32 PDT 2008

Different election methods provide different incentives to
candidates...Under IRV, or two-round runoff, a candidate who is nobody's
first choice cannot win (they will be eliminated) even if this candidate
would be a good compromise (or merely an inoffensive candidate avoiding
all controversial issues), whereas under Condorcet or Borda (for example)
a candidate who is nobody's first choice CAN win. Thus IRV prompts
candidates to "stand-out" enough to win a lot of FIRST choices and reach
out for second choices as well, while that strategy of stressing first
choices may hurt the candidate under Condorcet or Borda. IRV advocates
argue (rightly, I think) that it strikes a favorable balance between
seeking first choices ("core" support) and alternate rankings ("broad"
support), when compared to methods that disregard whether a candidate
received any first preferences.

Terry Bouricius