[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Sun Jul 27 13:06:53 PDT 2008

HUH!!!  How did we get here, where the topic is IRV???

Plurality with runoff:  If Plurality fails to produce a winner. then
the leading candidates - usually two - are voted on in a separate
election.

Exhaustive Ballot:  If Plurality fails to produce a winner, then the
candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and a further round of
voting occurs.  This process is repeated for as many rounds as
necessary until one candidate has a majority.  NOT GOOD to risk having
many such rounds in a public election with thousands of voters.

IRV (Instant Runoff Voting):  Can be thought of as a descendant of
either of the above, with the voter permitted to rank multiple
candidates on a single ballot and the counters to consider only the
top ranked in each round.  If Plurality fails to produce a winner,
then the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated from all
ballots, all thus exhausted ballots discarded, and a further round of
counting occurs.  This process is repeated for as many rounds as
necessary until one candidate has a majority.

I have not done LNH analysis.

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008 00:06:51 +0100 James Gilmour wrote:
> Kathy Dopp  > Sent: Saturday, June 21, 2008 5:20 AM
>
>>"Later-No-Harm", however, is incompatible with the basic
>>principles of majority rule, which requires compromise if
>>decisions are to be made. That's because the peculiar design
>>of sequential elimination guarantees -- if a majority is not
>>required -- that a lower preference cannot harm a higher
>>preference, because the lower preferences are only considered
>>if a higher one is eliminated.
>

> The meaning of the second sentence isn't completely clear to me, but I am fairly sure there is a perverse interpretation of
> "majority" in the first sentence.  An IRV election is an Exhaustive Ballot election contracted into one voting event, instead of
> being spread over several rounds in which the one candidate with fewest votes is eliminated at each round.  It is no surprise that
> the numbers of voters participating varies from round to round  -  usually a progressive (or severe) decline.  The votes in an

IRV election might look like this:

 > Round 1
 > A   4,000
 > B   3,000
   C>A   400
   C>B 1,400
   C     200
   D>B   100
   D     900
 > Total voting 10,000
 >
 > Round 2
  A   4,000
  B   3,100
  C>A   400
  C>B 1,400
  C     200
  Total voting 9,100

 > Round 3
  A  4,400
  B  4,500
  Total voting 8,900.

B is the majority winner in Round 3, that is to say, the majority
winner of those voters then voting.

DWK

                  If you want peace, work for justice.