[Election-Methods] RELEASE: Instant Runoff Voting

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sun Jul 27 12:26:48 PDT 2008

While I agree that "core support" is not always well measured by first
choices (multiple clones can make all these clones appear to have little
"core" support, where any of them would appear to have massive core
support running alone). However, I think the concept of "core support" is
still an important factor in multi-candidate elections. While I think
Condorcet methods are much better than most methods, I remain concerned
that it may, in fact, reward inoffensive candidates who successfully hide
their policy positions, rather than just true "compromise" candidates.
Voters tend to have clear opinions of candidates at the top and bottom of
their preference rankings, leaving the door open for inoffensive
candidates who have avoided revealing any controversial views, to become
EVERY voter's second choice ("at least he must be better than X") and
likely Condorcet winner. The voting method will cause candidates to tailor
their campaigns accordingly, and I fear Condorcet encourages candidates to
limit voter information and instead campaign with slogans like "I am the
candidate who listen to you" and policy will become even LESS discussed in
campaigns than is already the case in the U.S.

So an important caveat to the assertion that "if a majority prefers Brad
over Carter, this preference exists whether the voting system does
anything with it"...is that the voting method in use will affect candidate
behavior, and thus may result in Brad NOT being actually preferred over
Carter under a different voting method. In other words, voter preferences
among candidates (whether scores, or rankings) are not actually "given,"
as we assume when working out models (A>B>C), but will change depending on
what campaign style is rewarded by the voting method in use.

Terry Bouricius