[Election-Methods] delegate cascade

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 24 23:43:11 PDT 2008

On Jul 24, 2008, at 9:05 , Michael Allan wrote:

> Rankings are determined by votes incoming, not votes held.  This is
> crucial.  (It was only decided a couple of releases ago, so there may
> inconstencies in the docs.)

Ok, this seems to bring the model closer to what Kristofer
Munsterhjelm proposed.

> Large cycles will tend to be *structurally* un-stable - they will tend
> to fall apart and not re-form.  But I doubt they will be *dynamically*
> unstable.

I'm quite confident that the possibility of continuous cyclic changes
in continuous elections (due to cycles in the group opinions; A
preferred over B, B preferred over C and C preferred over A) exists
since that is a very general property of voting methods. The problem
may not appear often and it may be that the cyclic behaviour won't
last long for other reasons, but in theory that risk exists.

> You're pointing to a tension
> between voting for competence in communication, on the one hand, and
> competence in a specialty, on the other.

I don't see any bad tensions. I just thought that it would be good to
state it clearly if the proposed method is not intended to be just an
election method but also has another target of creating a permanent
communication structure among the voters. The change makes the
evaluation criteria and questions and comments quite different.

> What happens if two candidates
> vote for each other (tight cycle), in order to formalize a kind of
> partnership between them?

If the incoming votes are the ones to be counted then both will get
more votes. Sounds like a good strategy, except that the one with
less original incoming votes will now get as many incoming votes as
the other one.

Here's one more potential problem case. If some candidate receives
votes from too many directions then some of the voters should switch
to not voting this candidate directly (to make the tree structure
less flat). If many of them have about the same number of incoming
votes they may be reluctant to change their vote since they'd prefer
other voters making the move first and thereby letting them stay
closer to the root of the tree (instead of ending up close to the
leaves).

Juho