[Election-Methods] a strategy-free range voting variant?

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Mon Jul 21 07:12:03 PDT 2008

I performed a quick little simulation for version 2:

With K options and N voters, I drew the all K*N ratings independently
from a standard normal distribution and then applied the method with
D=sqrt(N)/2.

However, instead of using all partitions as suggested, I only used N/2D
partitions. More precisely, I ordered the ballots in a random way in
groups of size D, and then first used groups 1 and 2 as the benchmark
and deciding group, afterwards used groups 3 and 4 for this, then used
groups 5 and 6, and so on. In other words, the account adjustments were
averaged not over all possible partitions but only over these sqrt(N)
many groups.

I did this 100 times for each of a number of different pairs (K,N) and
evaluated the standard deviation of the individual account adjustments.
It turned out that for K=2 this standard deviation was approximately

   0.2 / sqrt(sqrt(N))

and only slightly larger for K=16 or K=128.

Since this is quite small when compared to the standard deviation of the
original ratings, which is 1 of course, this averaging in version 2
indeed looks promising! (Without it, the standard deviation of the
individual account adjustments would grow not shrink with growing N.)

Jobst