[Election-Methods] Election-Methods Digest, Vol 49, Issue 19

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 13:18:37 PDT 2008

On Jul 17, 2008, at 21:13 , fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> Juho wrote...
>> I link this to the problems in Fiji
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voting_system_of_Fiji.
>> In some circumstances the voters don't
>> seem to
>> check where their votes will go.
>
> If you read the article carefully, you will see that the complaints
> were not
> from the voters whose votes were transferred, i.e. the members of
> the indigenous
> parties, but from those who preferred the status quo.

I know that the criticism has come from multiple sources at Fiji.
Many of the voters might still today not know that their vote
actually supported the competing camp, and therefore they can't even
complain. Some voters might be happy that someone else has already
complained on their behalf.

My understanding is that both main political groupings used the
strategy, and thus were also victims of the strategy.

There is btw right now an electoral reform going on at Fiji. To my
understanding the old parties / the two main groupings do support
getting rid of the old method. They thus do not really want to
maintain the status quo but are happy to make the reform.

Juho