[Election-Methods] Local representation

Diego Santos diego.renato at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 10:14:26 PDT 2008

2008/7/17 James Gilmour <jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk>:
> Diego Santos  > Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 5:32 PM
>> 2008/7/17  <raphfrk at netscape.net>:
>> > The main issue is the party list vs PR-STV question.  The problem is
>> > that a party list system breaks the link between the candidate and the
>> > elected member.  Party members must remain loyal to the
>> > party as the party has all the power.
>

>> It is not always true. Open list PR keeps the relation
>> between the candidate and the voter.
>
> This is true only of the most complicated versions of open-list party-list PR voting systems.  Most open-list party-list voting
> systems do not give PR within each party.  The relation between the candidate and the voter is remote.
>
> James Gilmour

Although intra-party proportionality is not guaranteed by simple OLPR
systems, the relation candidate/voter is not so remote in many
scenarios. For example, in the last elections for Brazilian Chamber of
Deputies, 68% of non-spoiled ballots in my multi-member district are
for elected candidates. I don't think the outcome would be too
different if this election was performed using STV.