[Election-Methods] Local representation

raphfrk at netscape.net raphfrk at netscape.net
Thu Jul 17 08:38:00 PDT 2008

Juho wrote:

> I can see three different local/personal representation concepts here. (just to clarify my thoughts, and maybe help some others too)?

I think a?better way of?breaking down those options would be based on the how the seats are allocated.?
The whole regional/national/district issue is separate.? Ofc, for single seaters, it has to be district based.

The main issue is the party list?vs PR-STV?question.? The problem is that a party list system breaks
the link between the candidate and the elected member.? Party members must remain loyal to the
party as the party has all the power.

> (under national PR-STV)?
> - the representatives do not know which voters voted for them (the voters can thus
> contact any representative (that is the name as none:-)) as "their own")?

I don't entirely agree. I think the most likely outcome of implementing national level PR-STV
would be that each candidate would set up his home base in a certain area.? Most of his
votes would come from people who live near him.? If you live far away, you are much less
likely to be one of his supporters. This is especially true if the ballot access rules apply and
you are outside the area that he appeared on the ballot.

However, even if you didn't vote for him.? He will still likely try to help you.? Most people
with a problem would become a consistant voter for?the person who solved it for them.? Even if
it is only 50%, if he helps 100 people, he gets another 50 secure first preferences.

Every vote counts so he doesn't care if you are on the other side of the country.? However,
if you are on the other side of the country, then it may be harder for him to help as he
doesn't know as much about the local area (or who to contact about your issue) and also
it might be harder for you to vote for him.?

Also, parties will likely split the country up into 'territory' for each of their candidates.? So,
you would be referred to one of the local members of that party.

Each TD in Ireland builds up a 'personal vote' throughout his career.? This can be pretty
significant.? Some popular candidates can achieve around 2 quotas of votes due to being
personally popular.

> Note that the needs of close relationship between a representative and his/her voters
> regional proportionality and ability to vote without being bound by the party structure
> or by the districts are all quite separate targets.?

I think that PR-STV achieves 2 of them pretty well.? The national level proportionality is
not currently possible due to logistics and also due to larger parties not wanting to
increase the average number of seats per district.

> Note that there is a strong correlation between candidates that some voter votes and the ideology
> that they represent. It is thus typical that a vote to a candidate is also a vote to the ideology/party
> that he/she represents. The total freedom of STV-PR to vote any candidates of any party may thus
> quite often be just a nice option but not very needed (typically just low level of noise in the results).
> Elected candidates probably work for their party anyway, so one can not get rid of these bindings
> even if the voters would be allowed to bypass them in their ballot.?
?
Under PR-STV, candidates have a high degree of loyalty to their supporters.? In Ireland, TDs spend
alot of time at their local 'clinics' where locals can go talk to them.? There is also a joke that they spend
alot of time at funerals too.

> The difference between these two approaches is again "more freedom" vs. "clear groupings"
> (that keep the ballots simple, help the voters to understand the bindings of all of the candidates,
> and after the election bind the representatives to their announced policy).?

Right, there can come a point where voter overload is a problem.? However, I think listing
local candidates with the option for write ins should keep the burden low enough.

Raphfrk
Interesting site
"what if anyone could modify the laws"

www.wikocracy.com