[Election-Methods] "Town E-meetings" for encouraging group intelligence and working toward consensus

Ralph Suter RLSuter at aol.com
Sat Jul 12 19:22:56 PDT 2008

Terry,

Thanks for providing information about the British Columbia citizens
assembly. I had forgotten about that. One minor clarification: the
main purpose of the assembly, I believe, was to find better methods
for apportioning representatives in the provincial legislature, not to
find better single winner voting methods.

As for your concern about "circular firing squads" being organized by
opponents of IRV, that is not at all what I was proposing. Rather, I
(and Jan as well) was proposing ways to help people become better
informed about IRV and alternatives to it. That would include helping
people understand that plurality voting is the worst alternative of
all and needs to be replaced as soon as possible with better voting
methods. Furthermore, I specifically argued against an "anti-IRV"
effort in favor of efforts simply to help people become better
informed about alternative voting methods.

Jan and I and many other people are troubled not only with the
weaknesses we believe IRV has but by the fact that FairVote, the
leading pro-IRV organization, has for more than 10 years
systematically failed to FAIRLY discuss concerns about IRV with people
who don't think it is a good remedy, especially given the
now-well-documented unreliability of voting systems throughout the
U.S. -- a problem that Kathy Dopp and other voting administration
activists are much better informed about than FairVote is. FairVote
also has systematically failed to acknowledge that other methods may
be superior to IRV for at least some purposes (e.g., in meetings of
relatively small numbers of people where majority approval voting is
not only far simpler and quicker than other methods but much better
when the goal is to develop consensus agreement about important
decisions). The truth is that if anyone has organized a firing squad
against its opponents, it has been FairVote.

I speak as someone who attended the founding meeting in 1992 of the
organization that has evolved into FairVote (originally Citizens for
Proportional Representation, then Center for Voting and Democracy or
CVD). I know FairVote's Executive Director, Rob Richie, and I'm
familiar with many of the details of how the organization came to
adopt IRV as its preferred single winner election method without
permitting any public debate about it, even though a number of
prominent experts on its own advisory committee (Steven Brams, Arend
Lijphart, and others) have expressed strong preferences for other
methods. In fact, if I'm not mistaken, the Election-Methods email list
was started because Rob Richie and other CVD people thought debate
about IRV was a waste of time and refused to allow it to be continued
on an email list CVD had been sponsoring. (I'm not an original list
subscriber, so others know more about that history than I do.)

As for your concern about shoring up the status quo in favor of
plurality voting, that doesn't have to be the result of an effort to
better inform people about alternative voting methods. One alternative
to plurality, approval voting, would be so easy and nondisruptive to
implement that we all ought to agree that it would be a good first
step to improving on plurality. Other and better methods could be
adopted later, after voting administration problems that now make IRV
and other complex methods (including Condorcet and Range) so
problematic are resolved.

-Ralph Suter