[Election-Methods] "Town E-meetings" for encouraging group intelligence and working toward consensus

Terry Bouricius terryb at burlingtontelecom.net
Sat Jul 12 16:26:40 PDT 2008

Ralph and all,

As you responded to Jan Koch's E-Meeting idea, I'd like to offer responses
to a couple of your ideas (a tangent of a tangent).

1. The idea of a citizen jury is well worth pursuing. As many people on
this list are probably aware, there was actually a successful use of this
model in British Columbia dealing specifically with how best to change the
voting method there. This citizens assembly drawn by lot was created by
the Provincial government, and resulted in a provincial referendum. The
assembly's web site has lots of information...at
http://www.citizensassembly.bc.ca/public

Ontario used the citizens jury model as well.

There was also an attempt to get a bill passed in California to use such a
citizens jury for examining voting methods in California.

2. As to taking action in regards to Fort Collins...Fundamentally, I
believe election method reformers should NOT form circular firing
squads...That is, advocates of Approval or Range, etc. should NOT insert
themselves into places where a campaign for IRV is under way, just as
advocates of IRV or Condorcet should not go into a community where there
is a campaign for Approval. The more experiments with a variety of
alternative voting methods the better. By raising one-sided objections to
any particular reform proposal that is being seriously considered, the net
effect is most likely to be to shore up the status quo, rather than to
advance one's favored method. If election method experts put their united
effort into explaining why current plurality voting is bad, rather than
attacking other election reformers' efforts, we would all be better off.
That is not to say, of course, that we shouldn't continue this thoughtful
behind the scenes discussion about pros and cons of various methods.

Terry Bouricius