[Election-Methods] A Better Version of IRV?

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 11:21:18 PDT 2008

On Jul 12, 2008, at 1:11 , fsimmons at pcc.edu wrote:

> Chris Benham replied:

>> This particular horrible idea would create a strong incentive
>> for the major power-brokers
>> to sponsor the nomination of a lot of fake candidates just to
>> collect votes for one or other
>> of the major parties.
>
> Am I mising something here?  I thought IRV was clone free.

I link this to the problems in Fiji http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Voting_system_of_Fiji. In some circumstances the voters don't seem to
check where their votes will go.

> In conjunction with the candidate withdrawal option, it might
> enable the (other) losing candidates to save the
> Condorcet candidate, or otherwise compensate for IRV's non-
> monotonicity.

All actions that take place after the election are risky (withdrawal,
votes as assets etc.). The problem is that these the actions of the
candidates/parties may work against the interest of the voters, the
decision power moves to few people only, and also strategic moves are
easier after the vote counts are known. As a result some voters may
be quite disappointed. (Maybe Chris Benham referred to these problems
when talking about candidates commandeering the votes.)

There are many options for ballot completion and vote inheritance,
e.g. voter determined order, candidate determined order and party
determined order. The actual vote could be in some scenarios just a
bullet vote. To simplify further the parties and subgroups could form
a tree like structure. (One needs to plan a balance between the
number of candidates, how complex the ballots can be, how many
candidates the voters need to analyse and how complex inheritance
structures the voters can follow (Fiji had problems here).)

Juho