[Election-Methods] A Better Version of IRV?

Dave Ketchum davek at clarityconnect.com
Fri Jul 11 21:34:41 PDT 2008

Again, why NOT Condorcet?

Its' ballot is ranking, essentially the same as IRV, except the directions
better be more intelligent:
      Rank as many as you choose - ranking all is acceptable IF you choose.
      Rank as few as you choose - bullet voting is acceptable if that
completes a voter's desired expression.
      Equal ranking permitted.

Condorcet usually awards the same winner as IRV.  Major differences:
      Condorcet looks at ALL that the voters rank, while IRV ignores parts.
      Condorcet recognizes near ties, and tries to respond accordingly.

Could be a debate about the near ties - would it be better to resolve such
with a runoff?  Runoffs take time and are expensive.  Are they enough
better than what Condorcet can do with the original vote counts?

DWK

                  If you want peace, work for justice.