[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 8 13:52:11 PDT 2008

Here's one more approach to using voting methods to determine what
the government should be like. In the method that I proposed one
problem is the potentially high number of different coalition
alternatives. This method makes the number of candidates smaller.

All parties are candidates. Voters will put them in the order of
preference to include them in the government coalition. The results
could be indicative, subject to further negotiations between the
parties. The winner would maybe start the negotiations and possibly
take the prime minister seat.

There could be also a technical cutoff "candidate" that the voters
would place between those parties that they want to see in the
government and those parties that they do not want to be included.
The idea is that those parties above the cutoff would be the default
candidates to be included in the government.

It is possible that many voters would "approve" only few parties and
therefore one would get a minority government if one would follow the
results of the vote literally. For this reason one could try also two
cutoffs, "absolutely yes" and "absolutely no". Then we could try to
include all parties that beat the "absolutely yes" cutoff in the
government and leave all below "absolutely no" out. Parties between
the cutoffs could be included e.g. to create a majority government.
the two cutoffs would give the negotiators somewhat richer input with
respect to what kind of government the voters want (or would approve/
accept). (The voters could be also the members of the parliament.)

Juho