[Election-Methods] Fun with Friends and Dice

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Jul 6 15:59:37 PDT 2008

Dear Jobst,

Your ingenious use of coins was very inspiring to me.  It encouraged me to come up with a dice throwing
realization of our benchmark function f(x) = 1/(5-4x) in another solution of our challenge problem.

Also, since our goal is mutually beneficial cooperation, let me define two ballots to be "friends" of each other
iff they co-approve one or more candidates.

First, I give the method without the benefit of the dice:

1. Draw a ballot at random. Let Y be its favorite, let Z be the most approved of its approved candidates, and
let x be the percentage of ballots that are friends with this one.

2. Elect Z with probability f(x), else Y.

Now here's the dice rolling version:

1. Draw a ballot at random. Let Y be its favorite, and let Z be the most approved of its approved candidates.

2. Roll a die until some number k other than six shows on top.  If k = 1, then elect Z, else ...

3. Draw a new ballot at random.  If this new ballot is a friend of the first ballot, go back to step 2, else ...

4. Elect Y.

This method, like yours, guarantees a probability proportional to faction size for those factions that choose
to bullet, yet it gently encourages friendship.

What do you think?

Forest