[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 15:20:49 PDT 2008

Stéphane Rouillon > Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 6:02 PM
> For your second point, there is one way to enforce coherency (using a mathematical definition)
> within an MMP election. If one uses the same results to elect the individual representatives
> and to determine the corrected proportion obtained after electing list members. The simple way to enforce
> such coherence between these two proportions is to use a single ballot MMP, where voting
> for an individual is considered too as giving support in favor of this candidate party list.
>  From what I know two German landers use this system.

I am aware that some German Lander use single ballot MMP, but it is a fundamentally flawed system and should not be recommended.
The problem is that the candidate votes (cast in single-member districts) do not provide an accurate reflection of the voters'
overall support for the political parties because the candidate votes are distorted by local tactical voting.  If you must use MMP
(a poor voting system), it should always be a two-vote version.

James

Checked by AVG.