[Election-Methods] Re : Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Sat Jul 5 18:31:03 PDT 2008

Hi,

--- En date de : Sam 5.7.08, Kristofer Munsterhjelm <km-elmet at broadpark.no> a écrit :
> I thought I could ask a few questions while otherwise being
> busy making
> my next simulator version :-) So here goes..
>
> First, when a group elects a smaller group (as a parliament
> might do
> with a government, although real parliaments don't do
> it this way),
> should the method used to elect the smaller group be
> proportional?

I think Switzerland's executive is appointed a bit like this.

It's hard to say whether it "should" be proportional as I don't know what
your context or goals are.

There was recently some discussion on the list about the purpose of
proportionality being to give all interests a formal ability to
influence policy. If your original electorate is quite small or has very
good communication, there might not be much use.

I think it would be a problem in most cases for all interests to have a
right to positions in the government. They would have no incentive to
submit to the will of an opposing majority. I think I'd want to say that
minority factions have no entitlement to control of any ministries...

Kevin Venzke