[Election-Methods] Matrix voting and cloneproof MMP questions

James Gilmour jgilmour at globalnet.co.uk
Sat Jul 5 16:37:15 PDT 2008

Kristofer Munsterhjelm > Sent: Sunday, July 06, 2008 12:10 AM
> Second, I've been reading about the "decoy list" problem in mixed member
> proportionality. The strategy exists because the method can't do
> anything when a party doesn't have any list votes to compensate for
> constituency disproportionality. Thus, "cloning" (or should it be called
> splitting?) a party into two parties, one for the constituency
> candidates, and one for the list, pays off. But is it possible to make a
> sort of MMP where that strategy doesn't work?

I don't know about making it "not work", but the 'overhang' provisions in some versions of MMP would, at least partly, address this
problem.  The version of MMP used for elections to the Scottish Parliament (no overhang correction) is wide open to this abuse, and
we already have two registered political parties that could make very effective use of it IF they so wanted.  The Labour Party and
the Co-operative Party jointly nominate candidates in some constituencies.  The Co-operative Party does not nominate any
constituency candidates nor does it contest the regional votes.  Basically, MMP is a rotten voting system, with or without the
'overhang' correction, and it should be replaced by a better system of proportional representation.

James Gilmour

Checked by AVG.