[Election-Methods] Challenge Problem

Jobst Heitzig heitzig-j at web.de
Fri Jul 4 09:45:16 PDT 2008

Hi again.

There is still another slight improvement which might be useful in
practice: Instead of using the function 1/(5-4x), use the function
   (1 + 3x + 3x^7 + x^8) / 8.
This is only slightly smaller than 1/(5-4x) and has the same value of 1
and slope of 4 for x=1. Therefore, it still encourages unanimous
cooperation in our benchmark situation
   50: A(1) > C(gamma) > B(0)
   50: B(1) > C(gamma) > A(0)
whenever gamma > (1+1/(1+(slope at x=1)))/2 = 0.6, just as the other
methods did.

The advantage of using (1 + 3x + 3x^7 + x^8) / 8 is that then there is a
  procedure in which you don't need any calculator or random number
generator, only three coins:

**
** Method 3-coin-FAWRB
** ---------------------
** Ballots: Approval with one option marked "favourite".
** Tally:
**  1. Determine the approval winner, X.
**  2. Draw a ballot at random;
**     if it does not approve of X, its favourite, Y, wins.
**  3. Otherwise, toss three coins;
**     if they show no heads, X wins.
**  4. If it's one head, draw one further ballot;
**     if it's two heads, draw another seven ballots;
**     if all three show heads, draw another eight ballots.
**  5. If all drawn ballots approve of X, she wins;
**     otherwise, Y wins.
**

Isn't this guaranteed fun?

Jobst