[Election-Methods] A Better Version of IRV?

fsimmons at pcc.edu fsimmons at pcc.edu
Sun Jul 6 16:36:32 PDT 2008

There is a lot of momentum behind IRV.  If we cannot stop it, are there some tweaks that would make it more liveable?
Someone has suggested that a candidate withdrawal option would go a long way towards ameliorating the damage.
Here's another suggestion, inspired by what we have learned from Australia's worst problems with their version of IRV:
Since IRV satisfies Later No Harm, why not complete the incompletely ranked ballots with the help of the rankings of the ballot's favorite candidate?
The unranked candidates would be ranked below the ranked candidates in the order of the ballot of the favorite.
If the candidates were allowed to specify their rankings after they got the partial results, this might be a valuable improvement.
Forest