[Election-Methods] MCA's IIB problem fixed

Chris Benham chrisjbenham at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 28 13:19:37 PST 2008

Kevin,
I just realised that my suggested IIB-fix of  MCA  does cost a criterion
compliance:
Later-no-Help.  Adding  middle-ratings can help top-rated candidates by
maybe
increasing the Max Pairwise Opposition of  their rivals.

I consider having LNHelp and  LNHarm in  (at least probabilistic)
balance to be more
desirable than either by itself,  so  I  don't mind losing  MCA's
LNHelp  (since it badly
fails LNHarm).  But  I have to withdraw my suggestion that  MCA doesn't
have (for a
3-slot method) a maximal set of properties.

And  I  think there are better 3-slot  FBC-complying,  LNHelp failing
methods that use
MPO information combined with ratings information (than my suggested
modified MCA).

One possibility:  "If  any candidates have a top-ratings score not
smaller than their  MPO
score, disqualify the other candidates.  Elect the undisqualified
candidate with the highest
Approval minus MPO score".

Chris  Benham