[Election-Methods] RE : Taiwan legislative elections and referendum

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Tue Jan 15 07:40:05 PST 2008

Hi,

--- Augustin <beginner2005 at masquilier.org> a écrit :
> I am very angry when I think about how referendums are conducted in
> Taiwan.
>
> a- stupid 50% rule.
> -------------------
>
> For the result of a referendum to be valid, at least 50% of the
> *registered voters* must participate. I.e. if at least 50% of the
> registered couch potatoes stay at home, the referendum will fail even
> if the vote expressed show 90% +  support to the referendum item.
>
> Thus, the surest way to kill a referendum is to stay at home.
> Also, all those registered voters who genuinely don't care about the
> referendum one way of the other (e.g. the disinterested couch potato
> group of people), are all automaticall counted in the NO camp,
> whatever the question asked. !!!
>
> How much more undemocratic can that be??

The rule that a majority of voters must vote is unfortunate because it
means that by showing up to vote "No" you can cause the proposal to
succeed.

But in my opinion, to avoid government abuse of referendum, they should not
pass or fail only on the opinions of the voters that the government was
able to convince to participate.

If I choose to not vote in a referendum for some issue, I want this to be
interpreted as "have the government make this decision" not "let the other
voters make this decision."

Kevin Venzke