[Election-Methods] utility theory lesson for a very confused rob brown

daniel radetsky dradetsky at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 19:59:29 PST 2008

On Jan 10, 2008 3:48 PM, CLAY SHENTRUP <clay at electopia.org> wrote:

> Because you talked about risk aversion, a concept which makes sense in
> expected money, but not in expected utility.

Perhaps I'm getting confused. I was under the impression that at least one
crucial point at issue here was how we measure utility. Am I correct?

If so, since cannot measure utility directly, we would have to do so via
people's behavior towards some directly measurable commodity such as money.
This implies that anything which affects people's behavior towards money
affects our measurements of utility.