[Election-Methods] Closed or open primary elections? (was: Why monotonicity?)

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 09:17:03 PST 2008

This is at least in principle an interesting area of study. In
addition to having strategic selfish voters in this type of elections
we may have also malicious voters (whose intention is not to elect a
candidate that would be good for themselves but possibly a candidate
that is so terrible that nobody wants him, or a candidate that would
lead to problems like not being elected in the actual election after
the primaries).

This could in principle happen also in other elections than primaries.

In a two-party system with simple linear left-right opinion structure
it would e.g. make sense for the malicious voters to vote for the
most leftist candidates in the left primary since they are probably
less preferred by the right wing party, and the right wing of the
left party too.

It makes sense to invite right party voters in the left party primary
since that may lead to electing a candidate that is quite close to or
otherwise acceptable to the right party. But of course if the right
party voters are strategic, then they might vote for the extreme left
candidates. It thus depends on the expected level of strategic voting
if one wants to limit participation in primaries to a closed circle
or not.

(I sort of assume that the most efficient way to win the final
election is to have a candidate that is seen to be a centrist and
even slightly on the side of the other party. The own party voters of
that candidate will vote him anyway and will tolerate some political
rhetoric around the values of the other party, while it is crucial to
appeal to some voters of the other party to steal the last required
votes from them to change the balance in favour of one's own party.)

I wonder how many of the primary voters today vote for the candidate
that they consider to be the best, and how many vote for the
candidate that they think has the best chances to win against the
candidates of the other party.

In Finland in the presidential elections of 1993 the Social
Democratic Party used a primary that was (exceptionally) open also to
others than party members. Mr Martti Ahtisaari who had not been that
active within the party won the primary and finally also the actual
election. Mr Ahtisaari was elected in the primary although there were
also other more distinguished party internal candidates (i.e. a long
time party leader that many considered to be the automatic first
choice of the party). I'm sure the party external voters must have
contributed (more or less) towards electing Ahtisaari, and making a
Social Democratic Party candidate win the final election. The idea of
arranging a primary for "all the people" may also have led all the
voters (also party internal) to evaluate the candidates using more
general than just party internal criteria. I'm not aware of any
strategic voting. Most voters, especially Ahtisaari supporters
outside of the party (and non-registered party supporters too) maybe
saw this just as an open (somewhat populistic) opportunity to
influence positively.

I have only very limited understanding of the US primary system but I
have understood that it is quite easy to become registered as a voter
of "the other party" and participate in their primaries. Negative
campaigning seems to be quite popular nowadays, and widely spread
registration and voting in the primaries of the other party could
actually make sense ;-). It may be easier to elect a disliked person
in the primary of the other party than to try to figure out which one
of the candidates of one's own party would be acceptable also to the
other party members in the final election. Of course the end result
might be an election between two highly incompetent and unwanted
candidates (low utility). One way to fight against this would be to
arrange one's own primaries in a way that is not too vulnerable to
this type of strategic attacks.

In general methods that are designed to elect the candidate that the
voters want probably work well also in the reverse direction (=bad
candidates will be elected if the voters so want). It is impossible
to separate malicious votes from the regular ones. Maybe the idea to
limit participation works best (if widespread strategic voting is
expected).

Good methods like Condorcet may be easy also for the strategists in
the sense that they don't need any strategic plan on how to change
the outcome. It is sufficient to rank the candidates in the order of
unlikeliness of being elected in the final election. In plurality the
strategic votes could be wasted e.g. by voting for some bad candidate
that is so bad that he will not be elected anyway (or by picking a
candidate that is not the worst one that could have been picked). Of
course there is no need for primaries that would elect one candidate
only if the method is good enough to handle multiple candidates per
party. Influencing primaries that elect multiple candidates for the
final election seems to be less efficient as influencing election of
one single candidate for the final election.

One more simple approach is to collect poll data about the popularity
of the candidates of one's own party and make the results well known
to the voters of the closed primary. This would encourage electing
candidates that get wide support also from other parties. Also any
registrations that force the voters to somehow "show colour" publicly
could limit the number of voters that do not want to show this
particular colour.

One general observation. In theory primaries can make the outcome of
the election worse than it would be without them since the election
criteria in the primaries are different from the actual election.
Primaries may well eliminate candidate that would have won the final
election. This is maybe one additional reason for supporting methods
that can handle numerous candidates. (Having too many candidates may
however also make the election worse since then it is more confusing
and based on less good analysis of the candidates by the voters.
Allowing e.g. two candidates from the major parties and one from some
smaller ones (and maybe few independents too) could be one way to go.)

Juho