[Election-Methods] RE : Range voting simulations

Kevin Venzke stepjak at yahoo.fr
Mon Feb 4 09:31:33 PST 2008

Hi Ian,

--- Ian Fellows <ifellows at ucsd.edu> a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> I am trying to take a closer look at some of the simulations used to
> justify
> range voting. Looking at the code, it appears that candidate 0, and 1 are
> assumed to be the pre-election front runners. I was not able to determine
> anything unique about these candidates (from the genutils function). Is
> there a reason why these candidates are front runners? These front
> runners
> are then used to generate the strategies for strategic voters.
>
> Do any of the range voting people have any ideas? I  tried contacting Dr.
> Smith on thur but have not received a response yet.

I can't speak for Warren, but when I wrote a simulation to compare Approval
under various scenarios to Schulze, I did the same thing, in order to
simulate the situation where the "frontrunners" have acquired their status
totally arbitrarily. It is a pessimistic estimate of what happens normally
under plurality voting.

I would certainly say it's more of a "worst case" than a realistic
assumption though.

Kevin Venzke