[EM] A computationally feasible method (algorithmic redistricting)

Michael Rouse mrouse1 at mrouse.com
Sun Aug 31 20:28:02 PDT 2008

There was a discussion of district-drawing algorithms on the
election-methods list a few years back. I've always thought that taking
centroidal Voronoi cells with equal populations was an elegant way to do
it. Here's an example of standard Voronoi cells and the centroidal
version I pulled off of Google:
http://www.mrl.nyu.edu/~ajsecord/npar2002/html/stipples-node2.html

The other possibility I liked was allowing voters to vote for the
districts they wanted -- either for the next election, or more
entertainingly, the current one. People have a pretty good feel for what
mapping is compact and reasonable, and which ones are ridiculous,
especially if they can compare them. You could have certain criteria
that must be met -- like all districts must be contiguous  -- and sort
the maps by some metric, like from shortest to longest aggregate
perimeter. You could have all qualifying parties submit a map, as well
as any group that gets above a certain number of signatures in a petition.

Michael Rouse

(The last time I posted, things like line breaks disappeared, so I
apologize if this happens again.)

greg wrote:
>> From: "Kathy Dopp" <kathy.dopp at gmail.com>
>>
>>> From: "Raph Frank" <raphfrk at gmail.com>
>>> Brian Olson suggests this approach for his anti-gerrymandering proposals.
>>>
>>> http://bolson.org/dist/USIRA.html
>>> and