[EM] Continuous elections and their interplay with power structures

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 30 09:42:06 PDT 2008

Few thought on stability and continuous elections.

The first key thing is the continuous ability of voters to influence
(to change a seat or a decision). If there is such ability the voters
are more likely to follow what people do with their votes and then
react accordingly.

If the chain of influence is long and then the voter may find it too
tedious to follow which opinion his/her vote finally supports. He/she
might try a shorter proxy path, or find a path that is reasonably
stable and decisions predictable, or he/she might just stop
monitoring. In a long chain the probability of changes in the
opinions and in the final influence of one's vote increases.

If the proxies will decide only later what to do with the votes that
they have (i.e. the voter casts the vote without knowing the full
path), that makes the outcome less predictable to the voter.

If there are many decision in fast pace and with no wide discussion
(where proxies would indicate their position) voters may get surprise
results.

The key cure (that you also mentioned in your mail) is hysteresis.
Today in most political systems the hysteresis is such that the
voters may influence every n years. This is partially also
intentional. In some situations it is good to allow the
representatives to make the decisions without fear of being kicked
out next morning.

In continuous elections the hysteresis parameters must be planned
more carefully. Also giving early information to the voters on how
their representatives are going to vote may be essential. There may
be many different rules. Rules may be different for decisions on
seats vs. decisions. I'll skip examples since this mail is already long.

Juho