[EM] language/framing quibble

Raph Frank raphfrk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:49:43 PDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Brian Olson <bql at bolson.org> wrote:
> I stopped reading the "favoring racial minorities" thread a long time ago,
> but every time I see the subject I cringe a little.

Hope it wasn't the title which put you off, like most threads, the
subject wanders :).

> No one can say anything against "accurate representation", that's just good
> Democracy!

Sounds reasonable.

There is a proposal in to increase the size of local election (city
and county councils) constituencies in Ireland.

I have heard a few people object to it on the grounds that the change
is for the benefit of smaller parties.  One poster on a forum calling
it "Gormley-mandering".  John Gormley (Greens) is the minister
responsible for setting the rules and the Green party is a small
party.

> Just some things to think about so that once we've figured out what the best
> possible election method is, we'll be ready to switch into advocacy mode.

Sure, PR-STV is the best ... isn't that accepted by all :) ?