[EM] PR favoring racial minorities

Kristofer Munsterhjelm km-elmet at broadpark.no
Tue Aug 26 00:22:44 PDT 2008

Juho wrote:
> On Aug 26, 2008, at 1:20 , Raph Frank wrote:
>
>> Each candidate can register in any number of polling stations covering
>> at most N seat's worth of population.  (N=5 might be reasonable).
>
> You might want to keep the sizes of the registered areas of each
> candidate about equal (or to balance the situation in some other way).

Well, since we're already talking about logistics-heavy methods, how
about this: Take the location of the candidate (his home). Then order
the polling stations by distance from that location. Find the number p
at which the circle given by the radius drawn from the candidate's home
to polling station #p on the sorted list (closer first) encompasses more
than N seats worth of population. Then the candidate is listed on the
ballot in polling stations 1 to (p-1) on the sorted list, inclusive.

If the politicians have any influence in where the polling stations are
placed, they would want to put them more or less evenly so that if, for
instance, all polling stations are to the North of a candidate, one
would add some to the South too, to get on more ballots.

Strategic house buying would be funny! Perhaps parties would have
"candidate houses", all of which are carefully located so as to maximize
the effect, and new candidates are given one of them to stay in for as
long as he's a candidate.