[EM] Continuous elections and their interplay with power structures

Juho juho4880 at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Aug 23 13:55:40 PDT 2008

The "cooling off" type of rules is what I'd expect to see in place to
eliminate too radical and surprising changes.

Not all changes in opinions are malicious (coups or something like
that). It is also quite possible and even typical that some
representative changes his opinion from A to B since he thinks
alternatives A and B are about equally good but he now sincerely
thinks that B is now better. People that have given their vote
directly or indirectly to this representative may however sincerely
think that option A was good but B is disastrous (probably based on
some other criteria than what the representative based his opinion
change on).

(The problem was thus one representative moving large masses of votes
too quickly for the voters to react and change their vote.)

Juho